Re: job race!

From: Hans Schou
Subject: Re: job race!
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 08:28:43 +0200

Use --joblog to get the execution time and after each job-line running jobs.txt add " ; killall racejobs ".

Does this make sence?

/hans

2013/4/23 Ozgur Akgun <ozgurakgun@gmail.com>
Hi,

I wonder if I can use parallel to implement a "race" of jobs.

Following is what I want.

Given X jobs, start them all in parallel.
# cat jobs.txt | parallel -j$(cat jobs.txt | wc -l)

The first one to finish is the winner. Kill all the rest, and report the winner somehow.
(Would also be nice to accept a timeout value from the user, telling how long they are willing to wait. If nothing finishes within the timeout, there is no winner.)

Bonus points: Wait for another while (possibly a function of the time winner takes, say 2x time-of-winner) then kill those jobs that aren't finished. I guess reporting the winner isn't that important, because the job itself can make sure it leaves a trace of whether it finished or not.

What do you think, is this possible at all?

Any input from the experienced hackers out there will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ozgur.