Re: Excuses for not installing GNU Parallel

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Excuses for not installing GNU Parallel
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:06:45 +0200

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Thomas Sattler
<sattler@med.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:
> Hi Ole,
>
> I like the idea of a simple way to install Gnu Parallel, but
> the current script does a rather bad job. I'll list a few
> examples; a modified version of the script is attached.

Great.

It failed on OpenBSD, so I adapted it somewhat.

>   I changed to /usr/src (if root) or $HOME otherwise. This
>   might prevent using the script if the chosen directory is
>   read-only, but I still prefer it over the current version
>   (accidental downgrades). BTW: Installation would fail
>   anyway if /usr/ and $HOME were read-only. :-)

I am not too happy about that. I am not sure if /usr/src is generally
used for source based install on all platforms, and if I run it
blindly I would like to know that it had created a dir there.

So have I removed this part.

> The test, whether $HOME/bin is in PATH fails, if $HOME/bin is
> not added the way you expect.
>
>   I test whether $HOME/bin is in $PATH (shell environment)
>   and I moved this part to the end of the script.

Sounds reasonable.

It is now added as '10seconds_install'.