Re: --linebuffer implemented

From: Svenne Krap
Subject: Re: --linebuffer implemented
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 15:43:25 +0200

Hi all.

Sorry for the long delay. Ole poked me semi-recently so here is the
reason for it now...

We use parallel to start some jobs simultaneously. The jobs each write
to stdout (full lines) of status rather infrequently (i.e. around 5
lines / minute / process), but we save the combined output (verbatim) as
documentation and hence cannot accept inter-line interleaving from
multiple processes.

The processes run for quite a while (days sometimes), so status
(including estimation on completion time) while running is highly
desirably (we run it through tee later).

That is the setup for the feature request to Ole.

Svenne

p.s. I know this is probably the use case for a full fledged queue, but
sadly we don't have ressources to implement that in the near future...