Re: Dynamically changing remote servers list

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Dynamically changing remote servers list
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:34:21 +0200

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Douglas A. Augusto <daaugusto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ole Tange,
>
> I think something is weird regarding this new feature in GNU Parallel
> (#42983).
> I just received some complaints from the administrator here at the computer
> lab
> and then I ssh-ed into some remote machines to see what was happening: there
> were tons of processes running on a single machine, far more than the amount
> of
> specified slots!
>
> Not only that, but also stopping GNU Parallel on the local machine didn't stop
> the inconvenient remote processes.
>
> Do you have a clue about what is wrong here? Maybe GNU Parallel is constantly
> duplicating deactivated hosts when they show up again?

No idea, but it is very likely that the code has bugs: It is the
youngest code and there is no testing of that part of the code. If you
can show something reproducible then let us fix it. Your description
is unfortunately not enough for me to see if the bug is in GNU
Parallel and in that case where the bug is.