Rg: Parallel job does not run in background

From: aravind ramesh
Subject: Rg: Parallel job does not run in background
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 04:16:40 +0000 (UTC)

Version: 20140722
OS: Ubuntu 14.04.01 LTS,64bit

When I start a job using the following command

cat *.lines | parallel -j-2 --eta --joblog log_file &

Rscript ../Get_Length.R BM O1.ap > O1.ap.min
Rscript ../Get_Length.R BM O5.ap > O5.ap.min

are the commands in the *lines file

job immediatly stops and even after putting the job in background using "bg", it stops again. after "fg" the job resumes again. I also faced a problem while starting a nohup parallel job, as it does not run in background. (Same job with nohup)

Parallel runs smoothly with ampersend(in foreground).

What am I missing here ?