Re: Bug on iMac Mid 2011

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Bug on iMac Mid 2011
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 08:34:24 +0100

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Werner, Nils
<nils.werner@audiolabs-erlangen.de> wrote:
> The machine is a Mid 2011 27in iMac, running Mac OSX 10.10.2
>
> $ parallel
> parallel: This should not happen. You have found a bug.
> Please contact <parallel@gnu.org> and include:
> * The version number: 20150122
> * The bugid: pidtable format:    59     1

Last time someone submitted this as an error it was due to criminals
using the system. They had changed the command name to show nothing in
'ps' to hide their presence. This command:

  ps -o pid,ppid,command -ax

should give 3 columns like this:

  PID  PPID COMMAND
    1     0 /sbin/launchd
   10     1 /usr/libexec/kextd
   11     1 /usr/libexec/UserEventAgent -l System
   12     1 /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder -launchd
   13     1 /usr/libexec/opendirectoryd
   14     1 /usr/sbin/notifyd

Your process with PID 59 does not have a command name and looks
somewhat like this:

  PID  PPID COMMAND
    1     0 /sbin/launchd
   59     1
   11     1 /usr/libexec/UserEventAgent -l System

It *might* be a normal situation, but before GNU Parallel regards it
as normal, I need you to figure out what PID 59 is doing and why it is
hiding.