Re: Limiting parallel when used with recursion

From: Schweiss, Chip
Subject: Re: Limiting parallel when used with recursion
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 19:36:50 -0500

The problem with that is that parallel will start execution on parent folder before the child process is finish.   This is why I chose recursion.  Each iteration calls parallel on all children, when complete executes on itself.   The problem is there becomes many parallel processes and too many jobs running at once.

I need a way to limit the total number of jobs running at once.  While at the same time not executing on a parent until all children are complete.

-Chip

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
Ole Tange writes:
> If you use 'find . -type d' you will get it in the exactly wrong
> order. So how about simply reversing that:
>
>     find . -type d | tac | parallel myprog

find -depth -type d | parallel myprog

Regards,
Achim.