Re: Temp file location

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Temp file location
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 13:52:56 +0100

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Josef wells
<Josefwells@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:
> Normal operation of parallel seems to use ~/.parallel/tmp in some
> cases this is a long-distance network drive for me.. I'm unclear on
> exactly what goes here, the files mostly look like
> "linelen-<hostname>".
>
> Is there a way to relocate this area?

The linelen-<hostname> file is used for caching the max line length as
that takes 100 ms to compute. As long as you do not use 'sem' across
multiple systems, then I do not see any reason why you cannot symlink
~/.parallel/tmp into /tmp:

    TMP=$(mktemp -d)
    rm -rf ~/.parallel/tmp
    ln -s $TMP ~/.parallel/tmp

Just make sure you run the above everytime /tmp has been erased.