Re: Using parallel over several computers

From: Douglas A. Augusto
Subject: Re: Using parallel over several computers
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 12:56:07 -0300

On 14/03/2017 at 10:54,
Anders Lind <anders.lind@icm.uu.se> wrote:

> I could perhaps set this up using the ssh functionality of parallel, but I
> would need to be able to on the fly stop some machines from running jobs,
> since the computers belong to co-workers who sometimes need their computers
> for their own work.

Hi Anders,

The following thread may interest you:

   Dynamically changing remote servers list
   https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/parallel/2014-08/msg00012.html

Based on that, at the time I made a shell script that keeps parallel's
sshloginfile updated by filtering out unreachable remote servers and also
allowing the user to edit (include and/or exclude remote servers) on-the-fly:

   https://github.com/daaugusto/gnuparallel

PS: It worked with older versions of GNU Parallel (I haven't tested it with
more recent ones yet), so you mileage may vary.

--
Douglas A. Augusto