parallel bug: Warning: No more file handles. when one job is delayed (re

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: parallel bug: Warning: No more file handles. when one job is delayed (reproducible with a test case)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:23:46 +0300

Hi all!

Thanks for your work.

Attached are two files to reproduce a bug I ran into with GNU parallel
including the latest one on Mageia v7 x86-64:

shlomif@telaviv1:~$ bash run-range.bash
parallel: Warning: No more file handles.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -n or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
^CCompleted!

The run-single.bash script is delayed for n=1 and meanwhile other jobs
accumulate which may explain the problem. This problem caused me to lose one
night of uptime on an AWS instance because "parallel" got stuck, so I'd
appreciate an investigation and a fix.

Also see https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/parallel/2017-07/msg00006.html .

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish