Re: Is there some syntax for executing {} for 1..Inf?

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Subject: Re: Is there some syntax for executing {} for 1..Inf?
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 21:33:43 +0100

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen
<traxplayer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 December 2017 at 13:28, Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen
> <traxplayer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 7 December 2017 at 00:37, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I recently had a use-case for:
>>>
>>>     parallel 'cmd {}' ::: {1..Inf}
>>>

>> Maybe something like this:
>>
>> yes | cat -n | cut -f1 | parallel ' cmd {} '
>>

> There are of course many variants but if you prefore perl:
> yes |  perl -ne ' print "$.\n" '

Thanks. That's very clever, I didn't think of that.

I have no idea why and don't have time to reproduce it, but if I do:

    yes | cat -n ... parallel --halt ...

Inside a /bin/sh script the yes continues trying to write to the
broken pipe ven though parallel has exited, although I couldn't
produce it interactively. So I went with this:

    perl -E '1 while say ++$_' | parallel --halt ...

Which also counts up to infinity, but stops as soon as the write()
call to a broken pipe fails.