Help with distribution of jobs to ssh hosts.

From: Eduardo Mayoral
Subject: Help with distribution of jobs to ssh hosts.
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 11:31:10 +0200

Hi,

    I am struggling with a particular use case for parallel and I was
hoping someone on the mailing list can help me figure it out.

    I have a file in the form:

ssh_host1,command1

ssh_host1,command2

ssh_host1,command3

ssh_host2,command4

ssh_host3,command5

I hope you get the idea, this is not a single command to execute on
multiple hosts, but rather particular commands which must be run on
particular hosts. At the same time I would like to parallelize the
executions (I have several hundreds of host - command tuples and I would
like to execute 8 at a time)

AFAIK sshloginfile takes ssh hosts and parameters such as the ssh
command, number of cores (threads to use) on the destination ssh host,
and user name to use for ssh, but not particular commands to execute on
each host.

In case you wonder why I care about the degree of parallelism across
different ssh hosts: They all have mapped storage to a single file
server, and the commands to execute have some impact on the file server,
so I am trying to modulate the impact on the backend file server.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--

Eduardo Mayoral.