Re: Changing TERM TERM to HUP TERM

From: Saladi, Shyam M.
Subject: Re: Changing TERM TERM to HUP TERM
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:05:07 +0000

if it's well publicized in advance of the release, I think this would be an excellent change.

Shyam

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 12:42 PM Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:
To stop GNU Parallel today you need to send TERM to make it stop
starting new jobs followed by another TERM to kill the running jobs.

I am considering changing that to send HUP to stop starting new jobs
and TERM to kill running jobs.

This will make it easier to kill GNU Parallel:

$ bash -c 'parallel -j1 sleep ::: 111 222' &
# This would then kill the process group with bash and parallel
$ kill -TERM -$!

It will make it incompatible with previous versions.

What is your opinion?