Re: file permissions on joblog

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: file permissions on joblog
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:24:17 +0200

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 2:49 AM Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using GNU Parallel behind not one but two intermediaries.  I submit to
> the first, the first wraps the jobs in a "slurm" script and submits the jobs
> to the second (the slurm host).
>
> The jobs run on the slurm host under the account of the first intermediary,
> username and group not accessible to me.  I would like to be able to view the
> --joblog file but its permissions are 640.

I take it that the problem is similar to:

   ssh otheruser@localhost "parallel --joblog foo ..."

Try:

    mkdir /tmp/foo; touch /tmp/foo/log; chmod 666 /tmp/foo/log
    ssh otheruser@localhost "parallel --joblog /tmp/foo/log ..."

If you have access to a database:

    parallel -Sotheruser@localhost --sqlandworker
pg://user:pass@host/db/tbl 'id;echo' ::: 1