pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Portability and supported host types

From: Hubert Figuiere
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Portability and supported host types
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:25:54 -0500

> * Mac OS X
>
> It is a BSD system emulated in top of mach, is POSIX compliance
> enough?

Should be enough. Most of the portability issues comme from the
dependencies that might need to be installed to build.
If you need a "graphic layer" for display, I'd say to just use Cairo.

> * Mac OS
>
> Old. It is useful to support this host type?

It is a waste of time to even try that. Even the compatibility layer in
MacOS X is no longer available on Intel based machines.

> The PDF reference includes dispositions for several specific host
> types: Unix, Windows and MacOS. Note that even if our library is not
> able to run on Mac OS we still should be prepared to manage PDF files
> made in Mac OS.

Off course, this case should be dealt with.

Hub