pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] Re: Proposal of API for the Encoded Text module

From: Aleksander Morgado
Subject: [pdf-devel] Re: Proposal of API for the Encoded Text module
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:20:08 +0100

Find attached my changes to the proposed API for the Encoded Text module. It's a diff to the gnupdf.texi file.

Please patch gnupdf.texi with the new API. Dont forget to include a
Changelog entry.

Sure.

- Regarding the issue of the `best encoding' to encode a given character string, I really think that UTF-8 could be the default best encoding for all of those OS supporting iconv (GNU/Linux, Unix, Mac OS X...) and even for Windows OSs (AFAIK, UTF-8 is available in all modern Windows versions... should we give support for older versions?).
What do you call a "modern windows version"? Could you be more
specific?

Well, at least the API to get the default Code Page identifier is available since Windows 95. But I must say that I am not sure if UTF-8 is available in Windows 95/Me/98 (not all the code pages listed as possible return values of the API function need to be available in all the OS versions). What I've read is that at least in NT/2000, UTF-8 is available at system-level (so the same applies for XP/Vista). Moreover, Windows Support suggests to use UTF-8 or UTF-16. I will try to determine this issue with more detail. Anyway, the function to get the best encoding will be able to check which Unicode encoding is available in each Windows system, so if it's not UTF-8, it could be UTF-16.

   This will help not only to determine the specific OS-dependent
   functions for host encoding support (determine which OS don't
   handle UTF-8, for example), but also to determine platforms with a
   lack of some required feature (e.g. 64bit integers, discussed in
   another thread). I could start a new page in the Wiki with this
   issue.

There is a little draft on portability in
http://gnupdf.org/Portability We could summary portability issues in
that page (availability of iconv, 64-bit integers, etc).

I will create a new section in the wiki for the portability issues, and I will add the required dependencies for text encoding.

Regards,

--
Aleksander