pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Thoughts on git?]

From: Zac Brown
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Thoughts on git?]
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:42:56 -0700

Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Zac Brown <address@hidden> wrote:
Just curious if anyone has thought about moving/adding development in git?

Seems we'd be a good candidate since we have a small codebase still.

Thoughts?

-Zac

Why change something that works? Do the savannah servers support git?
Is there any feature in git which is necessary and not provided in
cvs?

- Cirilo

The question is more along the line of thought that I've noticed several GNU
projects now have git repositories.

Not to mention, frankly said, git is superior to cvs in several ways.

Bandwidth costs are lower, important to me at least as my connection isn't very
good. Since all calls are local, things like diffs, file histories, committing
locally and so on don't require me to necessarily have a connection at all to
the internet.

Not to mention changes are atomic in git. No need to worry about getting caught
in a partial checkin/checkout that can happen in CVS. Though that doesn't happen
often, it can and it is annoying.

It isn't something my heart is set on, but to be honest, even moving to SVN from
CVS would be an improvement.

Also, yes savannah does have git hosting.

-Zac

-- snip --
I meant to send this to list.