pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Text module unit tests failing

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Text module unit tests failing
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:27:46 -0500

    The problem here is that we need to know the user's lang/country info
    plus the user's encoding,

Ok, but why?

    and we try to use the locale configuration for that. So, if we get C
    or POSIX as locales, what should we do?

What are the consequences of any particular choice?  I mean, say we make
the default be en_US for the location and US-ASCII for the encoding,
what does that mean for users in practice?

Also, the locale very often does not specify encoding info.  It's far
more common to use "de_DE" than to use "de_DE.UTF-8" or whatever.  What
do you do in that case, when the information is partial?

Anyway, the point is, you can't just give up and say you don't support
the C/POSIX locale.  That is the single most common used locale,
especially in scripts.  I expect you are all well aware of that, but
since the question arose ...

The important thing is what the software does for users (either
end-users or library users).  Whether tests fail or not is basically
inconsequential.  Of course if you're testing some lang/enc-specific
thing, it can't work in C/POSIX.  So if the test reports failure, that
is expected, and therefore the test was successful :).  Just fix the
test framework to take care of that.

karl