pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Filters deallocation

From: gerel
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Filters deallocation
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:48:47 -0700 (PDT)

 > Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:20:05 +0200
 > From: Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente <address@hidden>
 >
 > address@hidden wrote:
 > > Hi Gerel.
 > >
 > >    I think the Stream module documentation is missing the deallocation
 > > operation,
 > >    the one that deallocs the memory used by the filter itself.
 > >    ##
 > >    pdf_status_t pdf_stm_f_somefilter_dealloc (void **state);
 > >    ###
 > >
 > > As I mentioned in a previous email the pdf_stm_destroy() operation
 > > will take care about the memory used by 'state' (if any) by calling
 > > pdf_dealloc.
 > >

 > Is that enough? What if the 'state' contains non-trivial data structures?
 >
 > Another question, after having received a finish_p in an apply, does the
 > possibility exist of receiving more data in the future? If that is true
 > (it could allow more freedom)
 >
 > I suggest a new interface with 5 operations defined by the filter
 > (params ommited):

Hey JP,

I don't know if that schema makes a difference. To me the most difficult thing
when writing the RL filter, was dealing with the trailing character AND the
output bytes available, that's why I set a minimum cache size (i.e. the maximum
bytes you would be forced to write when finishing) for it. And I guess you can't
avoid that, the finish function you suggest should do a 'filter flush' anyways.

cheers

-gerel