pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Expanation, please?

From: Gustavo Martin Domato
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Expanation, please?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:01:50 -0300

Hi José,

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 19:53 +0200, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:
> Hi Gustavo.
>
>     What does this mean?
>
> This basically means that the FSF does no longer consider GNU PDF a
> high-priority project.  This is because other projects already covered
> some of the issues that motivated this project, namely: support for
> interactive PDF facilities and the lack of a GPLv3 implementation.  Now
> poppler supports many of the interactive stuff, and both ghostscript and
> xpdf are distributed under the GPLv3.
>
> I got consulted about this and did not object to the removal of the
> project from the list.  I also advised to not do a press release like
> the one you read, but without success.  The high-priority list is now
> the bussiness of the FSF.  It is up to them to decide what to list and
> what not.
>
> I reckon the FSF communicate may be confusing.  It is obvious that the
> project is not "done" at all and that not all the issues motivating it
> have been solved.

What was solved? What wasn't?

> We still want to provide a GPLv3+ library
> implementing a stack equivalent to the Acrobat SDK, even if we are no
> longer in the top-ten list of the FSF.
>
> Hope this clarified the situation.

So, we're still on the go but don't know clearly what for. How can we be
sure we're not duplicating efforts?

I must confess that I have had problems understanding the project's
goals. I just didn't want to disturb with questions very early. The FSF
communicate just added to the confusion.

Regards,
Gustavo.