pengfork-devel

[Pengfork-devel] AOL seems to intercept all SMTP connections

From: Jim Peters
Subject: [Pengfork-devel] AOL seems to intercept all SMTP connections
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:55:44 +0100

Using PengAOL in the UK, I've just noticed that AOL's servers redirect
all attempts to connect to external internet SMTP servers to their own
mail servers.  This means that even if I try to send my E-mail via an
SMTP AUTH connection to my mail-provider at smtp.uklinux.net, it ends
up going out via AOL's mail servers.

This is very unfortunate, as I've noticed that some messages get
bounced back because AOL's IP addresses are on spam-block lists.
Apart from the AOL server names in the Received: headers, there is
also an X-Apparently-From: header which gives the AOL login name.

I've tried to think of a way around this, but I can find no solution.
Unless uklinux.net, for instance, runs an SMTP server on an unusual
port, there is nothing I can think of doing that can avoid getting
redirected to AOL's servers.

Has anyone else come across this problem, or found a solution ?

Cheers --

Jim

P.S.  This message was sent whilst dialed-in through AOL, so you
should be able to see what I'm talking about in the headers of this
message.

--
 Jim Peters                  (_)/=\~/_(_)                 address@hidden

 BWView: a fast visual browser for brainwave files: http://uazu.net/BW