perlpanel-devel

Re: [Perlpanel-devel] PerlPanel 0.8.0

From: Moshe Kaminsky
Subject: Re: [Perlpanel-devel] PerlPanel 0.8.0
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:47:54 +0200

* Gavin Brown <address@hidden> [29/09/04 18:02]:
> Version 0.8.0 of PerlPanel is out now. This release introduces some
> massive changes to PerlPanel.
>
> First off is the eagerly awaited Notification Area applet, which exists
> only because of the altruism of Christian Borup.
>
> Then there's the new applet install system, which lets users download
> and install applets in a few clicks. A number of applets have been
> improved on: the WiFiMonitor applet supports more interface names; the
> Pager now has a context menu; the calendar has been restored to the
> Clock applet; the CPUTemp applet now works with the CPU temperature
> monitor on Dell systems; the WindowMenu applet now tracks the currently
> active window.
>
> All applets which use .desktop files (GnomeMenu, IconBar and Launcher)
> now support launch feedback, and you can active launch feedback on the
> Launcher and IconBar applets through the .desktop editor.
>
> A lot of work has been done to improve responsiveness and startup time.
>
> Download from http://jodrell.net/projects/perlpanel.

Hi,

I've just installed it. It appears that in the applet how-to, in the
layout of the tar file for the third party package, the first / should
be removed from all files.
It would also be nice to provide a command line script to install
applets. (As far as I can see, it should be an about one line script,
but you do have to dig into PerlPanel.pm to find that out).
Also it would be nice if applets could also be installed system wide.
This would allow Linux distros to install third party applets (eg,
gentoo ebuilds).

Thanks,
Moshe