pgubook-readers

[Pgubook-readers] Strange Problem with exit.s

From: Digvijoy Chatterjee
Subject: [Pgubook-readers] Strange Problem with exit.s
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:17:46 +0530

Hi List,
I was trying to run the first example(exit.s) in Programming from Ground Up,
i.e.

.section .data
.section .text
.globl _start
_start:
movl $1 , %eax
movl $2 , %ebx
int $0x80

I compile and run using:
as exit.s -o exit.o;ld exit.o -o exit ; ./exit
This  results in a segmentation fault , no matter what I do
but when i add the two  extra lines(allocating a long/word/byte in the memory) as below, the program works fine
.section .data
data:
.long 1
.section .text
.globl _start

_start:
movl $1 , %eax
movl $2 , %ebx
int $0x80

Has it something to do with assembler version , like the book being out of sync with the latest in as , i am just a beginner so forgive me if what i guess is naive.

linux:~/XML/Grid/source # as -v
GNU assembler version 2.16.91.0.2 (i586-suse-linux) using BFD version 2.16.91.0.2 20050720 (SuSE Linux)

Digz ( Please cc to my ID as  I am not a member of the list)