pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] Book really needs an Update

From: roger
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] Book really needs an Update
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:55:54 -0700

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 11:30 +0200, Mark Schmid wrote:
> Hi Linux Assembly fans!
>
> I just wanted to state my opinion that I feel
> this great book *REALLY* needs an update!
> There really are a LOT of typos, errors and mistakes
> which should be addressed and corrected in an grand
> overworked edition.
> Besides the errors others have already found and
> those I've mentioned, I found even more:

Great post.  I especially liked the suggestion of adding a comment
containing the file name on each additional page.

Gotta agree though, it's best just to post these errata/bugs on a
website available for printing instead of reprinting the entire book
unless there is new material.  Especially since most move on to learn C
or other more commonly used languages.

It is an excellent book, and probably should be listed as one of the
most important books for required reading for Linux users, along w/
K&R. ;-) ... K&R just doesn't make sense without this book. ;-)

BTW: I found the mistakes trivial and required the learner to think when
finding the source of the problem or bug.  Similar to real world job
scenarios!

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html