pgubook-readers

[Pgubook-readers] Re: Question Regarding Initial Stack Frame

From: Jonathon Donaldson
Subject: [Pgubook-readers] Re: Question Regarding Initial Stack Frame
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:24:15 -0600

Absolutely, this book is AWESOME!

I've been doing some more research, and in the examples that I've
found in the x86 supplemental System V ABI Reference they actually
include the "push %ebp" instruction at the beginning of the main
method.

Additionally, if you run gcc -S cmp_lang.c on the file that I've
attached the GCC compiler also includes the "push %ebp" instruction!
Maybe Bartlett did actually forget to put it in...or maybe it's just
optional?  Seems like it should be a requirement to me though.
Hmmm... :-/

Regards,

Jonathon

--