Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc

From: Michael Dean
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc
Date: 02 May 2003 19:49:25 -0500

I still believe switching out the entire database backend is risky and
will not be as simple as replacing method calls.

- Re: maintenance: I don't have a problem maintaining the classes and am
willing to commit to do so.  I also have my own classes in DCL that
contain SQL server specific functions for things like getting the
current date/time, converting to upper case performing a rtrim, etc.
These functions can be ported giving more flexibility and compatibility
to the layer.

- Re: porting: I don't think adodb has any advantages here.  There are
still projects that don't even use an abstraction layer.

- Support for other RDBMS:  phpLib has classes for other servers that
have not been bought into the phpGW fold yet.