Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:54:48 -0700

Darryl VanDorp wrote:

A couple comments from a long time observer.

Earlier on in the beginning of the project there was rapid and prolific
growth hugely based on the almost manic contributions of Seek3r, jengo,
skeeter and ceb. Shortly before I came across the project Milosch came
on-board and eventually also became a huge contributor. As far
as I can recall there were always dynamic discussions on IRC, thoughtful
discussions on the development list and overall a good project
direction and leadership.

Yes milosch is equal in contribution to the "four", but he has moved on to his own project. Otherwise I would be talking about the founding five :-)

No one can doubt or question the huge contributions made by the 'fab four'

Some time after this period however, the level of contributions by this
'core of four' diminished. One can't take away what they accomplished but
one can question the future.

Fair assessment.

Quite simply put: The level of contribution by the 'core' developers or
'original group' has dimished to the point of almost nonexistence. The
issue comes down to the fact that a lack of contribution by a leadership
team reduces it's effectiveness.  This is not unique to phpGW or to
opensource.

Fair. We have not been as active as a group as we used to be, and this greatly slowed down the progress of the project.

What this project needs to come to grips with is it's development model.
For what it's worth, It's my opinion that the development model put forth
in the 'restructure' document seems overly cumbersome however it appears
to be a  good start.

Agreed, its a good start and so far does appear to be overly cumbersome. It also needs to deal with the founding team more along the lines of what I have said, instead of the "honerary but useless" status of founding team.

I will voice the following points:

* reserving veto power for a developer who hasn't actively participated in
a project for a period of years (never mind months) is ridiculous

* if skeeter and jengo are given 'veto' the fact is Seek3r has de-facto
veto. Ceb can veto Seek3r's veto but jengo and skeeter would vote with
Seek3r.

Actually, skeeter would probably vote with ceb as much as me, or maybe more. Jengo would certainly vote with me.

* Dan has trademark and the domain and it's his legal right to have it.
You may debate whether its fair or nice but that's the facts.

correct.

* Lack of techinical participation by the leadership (whoever that may be)
group. 'Trying' to watch the mailing lists just isn't good enough for
sucess. The phpGW-dev list has an excellent signal to noise ratio.

fair enough

* Overdepence (at least historically) on IRC. Too many different time
zones too many people with day jobs.

in large part, agreed. irc is very valuable for rapid discussion amoungst many players.

* No defined/understood/structured decision making process.

fair

* Lack of credit given participants for their efforts. (although this
newish wiki seems to resolve this to some extent.) If people contribute
they want to see 'their name in lights' so to speak.

yes, the new wiki has solved a long running problem

So, at any point those who can or do control the project can take their
ball and bat and go home, the question is, to whose benefit would that be.
A key to any open project is the need to recruit and retain developers. An
open structure could go a long way towards this.

I value the userbase of phpGW. But I started this project as a way to learn, and a way to develop some concepts I had in how to design software like this. Since those were my main goals, the game is over if those are taken away. If people want to play a diff game, or one that is incompatible with the game I have been playing, then they can start their own game.

Dan