Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure

From: ceb
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Project Structure
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 04:06:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Dan Kuykendall wrote:

> address@hidden wrote:
>
> > first off, the reason why i subscribed the proposal is, it sure has to
> > change something in the structure of the project. but i dont see this text
> > as the final version of a guideline, just a good base to start discussing.
> >
> > the areas where i see the need of a change are:
> >
> > - assigning all of our code to the fsf. i was thinking this happened
> >   already when we became a gnu package. now i have to realise, it
> >   didn't. :(
> >   for me it was one of the reasons to agree becoming a gnu package,
> >   and as far as i remember it was discussed and agreed with concerning
> >   support in a law case. so i ask why it didn't happen already when we
> >   became a gnu package? without the fsf owns the code they can't support
> >   us in law cases...
>
> The reason it didnt happen was administrative. Each developer needs to
> fill out the assignment papers and send them to the FSF.

ok so this shouldnt be to hard to have all devels filling out that form
and send it to the fsf.

> > - also the holder of the phpgroupware.org domain should be the fsf.
>
> As mentioned, I am open to co-assigning. This would mean the admin
> contact would be the FSF and I would be the technical. The reason I
> would be the technical contact is that it runs on my servers. As far as
> I know the FSF does not like to host other domains, they want their
> projects to be under the www.fsf.org/projects website.

i would suggest to use an own server for the phpgw site which is owned by
the project. and we should have a team of devels which take care of the
server, like its the case with the savannah server(s) too. there are at
least 4 admins, which share the admin task.

> > - all project important areas should be administrated by a group of ppl,
> >   like the server, where the website is running, or any access to our cvs
> >   repository.
>
> CVS is done on savannah. I have a special account because of my
> friendship with loic. This special account is not something I can share
> with anyone else, and the only thing Im allowed to do with it is add
> developers to the group with CVS write access. I think savannah hackers
> would be willing to assign developers to that group if a project admin
> sent in the request.

i think it would be better - again, to have a group of ppl doing this
task. an other idea is to create an own project for the api or to dont set
commit limits for the api anymore.

> The website is on my server, and I have always given the leaders access
> to the server to help admin it.

yeah but this doesnt help if the i.e. mysql daemon crashes and the site is
down ...

ceb