Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: style guide

From: Jason Wies
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: style guide
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:27:28 +0000

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 08:37:22PM +0000, Bob Crandell wrote:
> Chris Weiss (address@hidden) wrote:
> >
> >>and ALL icons should have alt tags
> >
> >and title tags for tool tip popups :)

> >or better yet, make sure there is always a clear path back so the users
> >won't need
> >to click back buttons.  back buttons are evil due to client caching, the
> >user will
> >/never/ get what they expect no matter what we do on the server code.
> >

> Is it possible to tell the Back Button what to go back to?

No.  RFC 2616 (HTTP/1.1):

13.13 History Lists
   User agents often have history mechanisms, such as "Back" buttons and
   history lists, which can be used to redisplay an entity retrieved
   earlier in a session.

   History mechanisms and caches are different. In particular history
   mechanisms SHOULD NOT try to show a semantically transparent view of
   the current state of a resource. Rather, a history mechanism is meant
   to show exactly what the user saw at the time when the resource was
   retrieved.

Cache-control headers also don't apply to history lists by default, although
user agents may choose to refresh expired documents.

Jason