Re: Tricks for Windows coding and win version status

From: Magnus Norddahl
Subject: Re: Tricks for Windows coding and win version status
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:59:43 +0200

Quoting Alberto Curro (address@hidden):

>   If you mean if the application works in a different way, no. The behaviour
> is the same as the release one. The game starts running, and if I try to
> play the game (click on the "Play" button), I see the play introductory
> screen and when I click or press a key, the game stops running. No messages,
> no crashes, nothing.

Then the most likely thing is that the application indeed does exit cleanly.
Most likely cause is that an exception is thrown, its caught by a handler
that writes it to stdout and then exits.

In linux this message would be visible, but that is not the case for Windows.

There are several ways you can make the message visible. One is to run the
application from the command prompt, piping it to a file:

pingus.exe > output.txt

Other way is to create a CL_ConsoleWindow and then just before pingus exits,
call the CL_ConsoleWindow::display_close_message(). This method is the
nicest one for a Windows developer since it creates a console window where
you can see things written as they happen. I recommend you only create and
use the console window in debug builds, eg. by putting it into #ifdef DEBUG
clauses.

>   Referring to debugging the application, I can place  breakpoints (of
> course, I'm in debug mode) but when the application reaches the breakpoint,
> the only window I can see for debug is CPU Window. I cannot place watches,
> or inspect code, nothing...

Hmm, that sounds strange. Dont know what could be causing that.

--
Magnus Norddahl,
Clansoft