Re: Pingus Actions during Pause

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Pingus Actions during Pause
Date: 12 Aug 2002 01:22:14 +0200

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

> Why do you prefer Pingus to have a limited pause (e.g. bullet time)
> rather than completely disallowing giving Pinguses actions during
> pause mode? As a personal preference, I would rather not allow
> Pinguses to be given actions while in pause mode.

It annoyed me very much in Lemmings when I 100% knew how to solve a
level, but still had to play it multiple times 'cause an action had to
be applied to a Lemming facing in a specific direction or at pixel
precise positon. Well, and picking up the right Lemming at the right
position was nearly impossible in a crowed of 50 others, so it became
random if I succeed the level or not, that was frustrating, annoying
and made me stop playing Lemmings for years.

> If Pingus does have to have a limited pause, I suppose I would
> prefer something like having the game leave pause mode as soon as an
> action is given to a Pingu AND disallowing the game to be paused
> until maybe 30 seconds after the game was unpaused. Or maybe just
> disallowing the game to be paused until the 30 or whatever seconds
> after the game is unpaused.

Well, I still havn't found a solution which would feel natural and
result in a fluend but still controlled gameplay, so for the moment I
will stay with letting actions be applyable in the pause mode. Even so
this is not perfect, some levels would be nearly unsolvable otherwise
at the moment.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927