Re: Pingus -bugs?- under windows...

From: Alberto Curro
Subject: Re: Pingus -bugs?- under windows...
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:19:50 +0200

> >   3) Also in the volcano, if I go to the tube (continue to next world?) I
> > receive this message in the background window :
> >
> >       Graph : parse_node_list : Unhandled : comment
> >
> >   and nothing happens.
>
> Hm, this should not happen, you should be brought to the pacman world
> instead. No, idea what is wrong. Maybe the parser goes into an endless
> loop or something like that.

  I will study it and tell you something...

> >   4) As commented, the sound works; but, I've no background music
> > (there's no music by now, though?) some movements and actions have
> > no sound (or I can hear no sound at all) while others have, and
> > sometimes I can hear the sound one or two seconds after the action
> > (mainly when each penguin is exiting).
>
> Some sounds are badly timed, this needs to be fixed. Background music
> can be turned on with 'pingus -m' (mod files are in data/music/*). But
> as the sound, it isn't really timed and might fail in some
> situations..

  Another proposal, at least for Windows... why not, if music and sound are
working and support will be improved, adding sound and music supports as
defaults. Okay, it will take more bug reports from potential users/testers,
but as people don't read the docs (at least, most windows users don't...) we
will receive a lot of messages claiming for sound support. Then, two new
parameteres (maybe --nosound, --nomusic?) will give users a chance to play
without music, if they have troubles with it....

  As commented above, this could be only for windows version, it will not
break the portability code (maybe a few more #ifdef WIN32 clauses, but not
more, no?), and it will help us to improve sound support as we will receive
_real_ crashes related to sound / music. Also, some new exceptions to handle
these situations will give us the opportunity to tell user "hey, it seems you
have troubles with sound in the game... try adding --nosound to your app
link?)

  .... and even a window that gives him the chance to send us a mail with
debug-info? (I know, I know, this is _today_ more science fiction than
reality given the state of the code, but it's an idea for next releases...).

> >    1) As we everyone know, the story mode need an improvement; but not
> > only in the first screen (that's the same, think an story for the
> > complete game), also before each level, maybe?.
>
> Yes, we need intro and result screens before and after a level, we had
> some, but they where ugly and got disabled for the moment.
>
> >   Don't you consider that, as it happened on Lemmings, is necessary a
> > 'died' count, in the way if (total_penguins - died_penguins >
> > necessary_penguins_to_pass_the_level) then shows a beautiful windows
> > telling the player he has made an stupidity, and restart the level?
>
> Result screen is currently disable, but is of course planed to be
> there, currently all levels will return success no matter what you to,
> thats simply a bug (well, more a not implemented feature).

   About this point, I've played today in my father's PC with a new game, Far
Scape, or something by the way.. it's not a really good game, but I saw some
features I would like to have in some other games... one of these, no full
screen intros, only windows... smaller, and with an 'ok' button; well though,
I consider it's better idea than the lemmings's full introductory screens,
and we won't need to have different images for the intros.

   What do you think about?

> >   PS : I'm working in order to have an installer for the game; I'm
> > testing the installer scripts from WinAmp's people (NSIS), as it is free
> > (not opensource, but it's something to start with).. anyone knows about
> > other installer for Win32 that works better or even OpenSource?
>
> NSIS claims to be Open Source and the License looks ok. So I think its
> ok to be used.

  Uhmmm, then I've an older (maybe a lot) version. I'm just going to
Nullsoft's website to find a new release. The one I've is marked as free, not
O.S. It's a good new...