Re: Trying to test a translation

From: cagri coltekin
Subject: Re: Trying to test a translation
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:17:01 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 07:19:29PM +0300, Jarno Elonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I change the language of Pingus messages in Linux?
> These don't work:
>
>  LANG=fi_FI
>  LANGUAGE=fi_FI
>  LC_ALL=fi_FI
>  LC_CTYPE=fi_FI
>  LC_MESSAGES=fi_FI
>  LOC_PATH=/usr/local/share/locale
>
> "getext support:          ok"
> but still
> "gettext language:        english"
>
> Replacing fi_FI replaced with fr_FR or de_DE doesn't change the language from
> English either.

Do you have locale support for fi_FI on your system? You can
check it by some simple command lie 'LC_ALL=fi_FI date'. Some
(most?) distributions does not install all locales by default.
For example, you need to add locale to /etc/locale.gen and run
'locale-gen' on Debian.

The second problem I can think of is that you need to 'make
install' first to have your translation in the path pingus
(gettext) checks for translations. I'm not sure if this is
changed recently though.

--
cagri