Re: Lists of problems in the French translation

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Lists of problems in the French translation
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:59:50 +0200

Am Mon, 2003-08-25 um 04.45 schrieb Etienne Marcotte:
> 1 - Missing characters (already known)

No long right, the translation may be updated.

> 2 - The "Let's Go" image

Known, picture.

> 3 - Text at the bottom of the introduction screen is
> still in English (the part telling the version #)

Intended, don't know why.

> 4 - In the editor help, the text is going out of the
> screen and some text overlap.

Translation mistake, I noticed the same for the german translation and
corrected it so the strings fit on the screen at least in 800x600.

> 5 - In the editor, the "Camera Start Pos" is still in
> English.

Known, picture.

> 6 - The testing button in the editor contextual help
> is in German (I guess)

I'm not sure what you mean, can you send us the string shown? I can tell
you wheter it's german for sure but more important grep for it.

> 7 - In the lower left of the editor : "Pingus Level
> Editor" is not translated (it's surely a pic, so...)
> 8 - In the editor, when you wan't to check the
> property of items and other action which open a little
> window, this window is in English.

I'll check later.

> 9 - The last slide of the starting story go out of
> bound even if it's only two line long.

I can't confirm that one.

> 10 - The check box text at the upper left of the main
> map (show story) is too long.

What do you mean by too long?

> 11 - There's some German (?) in the descriptions of
> some levels (including #1 and #2)

I couldn't find it, but at least the translation for gettext support as
start message is german because it's german in the fr.po.

> 12 - In a level, the text in the upper status bar is
> too long.

Update the translation.

> 13 - The name of all the actions is in English.

There's no translation provided so the fallback is english.

> 15 - Grammar mistakes. (third level description for
> example) On a side note, "annule" (cancel) should be
> "annuler", but it's just a matter of taste.

That must be corrected by a french. ;-)

> 16 - The number of Pingus to save can't be too long
> (see the sixth level)
> 17 - The "Tutorial Island" in the back.

Please be more specific here.

> 18 - One of the last level has a too long name (the
> parallel one)

Correct the translation.

> 19 - Output to console : "Saving demo to...", "Saving
> backup to..."

That's a debug message which will probably vanish sometime in the
future. We'll need something better for identifying demos.

> Nineteen problems, that's not too bad. No?

Since quite a few are as simple as updating the translation, no. :-)

Bye David