Timing and pingus operation

From: John August
Subject: Timing and pingus operation
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:19:49 +1000

I'm trying to figure out the way in which pingus responds to mouse clicks,
as compared to how it puts up text when the mouse is in the area (eg.
"Basher" when the mouse is on that icon, and the tick which is displayed
when you are in a box.) I've had some discussion with David Philippi on
this one.

There's the main loop in Pingus/src/gui/screen_manager.cxx which calls
CL_System::keep_alive (); to process mouse events, and it seems that
Pingus/src/button_panel.cxx controls the buttons, so these routines
shoud put up the "Basher" text when the mouse is over such a button.

But, where exactly is the "Basher" text generated ? From this, I'd be able
to see the path from the mouse movement to this text being generated.

Also, if I'm clicking on a pingu, where is that responded to ? As I understand
it, clan lib generates signals which are processed at the front end by
Pingus/src/input/buttons/mouse_button.cxx , but I don't understand how a
pingu responds to the updates in the above routine.

Presumably, each pingu is an "object" which knows when the mouse is on it
(the box indicating its type and direction appears when the mouse is over
it), and if it receives a "click" while this is happening, it changes state,
eg. from a walker to a basher.

Any clarification much appreciated.

--
"DRAT ! I left my matches at HOME !"