platform-testers

Re: [platform-testers] [Grep-devel] new snapshot available: grep-3.1.46-

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] [Grep-devel] new snapshot available: grep-3.1.46-504af
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 16:59:10 -0800

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:26 AM Assaf Gordon <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>
> On 2018-12-15 11:29 a.m., Jim Meyering wrote:
> > grep snapshot:
> >    https://meyering.net/grep/grep-3.1.46-504af.tar.xz
> >

> "backref-alt" test fails on several systems:
>     Ubuntu 14.04 (aarch64)
>     Raspbian 9.6 (armv7l)
>     Debian 8.11 (mips64)
>     Debian 8.11 (i686)
> (perhaps something to do with non-amd64 systems?)
>
> "stack-overflow" test fails on:
>     Ubuntu 14.04/aarch64
>     AIX 7.2

Thanks for the speedy testing.
Would you please tell me what this prints on that failing Ubuntu aarch64 system?

  i=200; printf %0${i}0000d 0|tr 0 '(' > in; src/grep -Ef in; echo $?

Wondering if their glibc is old enough that it still has the regex
stack overflow detection that has been removed for a few years
upstream, in which case grep would print nothing and $? will be 1.
This might become moot with the next snapshot, since that will force
more systems to use the included regexp, so don't invest much in it if
it looks like something else.

Thanks,
Jim