playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Introductions

From: Holmes Wilson
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Introductions
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 17:06:48 -0400

Hi there,

I think the participation argument cuts both ways, since 1,000 people
making  a video that gets seen by 1 person and 1 person making a video
that gets seen by 1,000 people are both important types of
participation, right?

And so if *either* of those numbers starts changing, I see that as an
important increase in participation.  Some people value
creator-empowerment vs. message-impact differently.  But I'm sure we can
agree they're both important both politically and culturally.

I'm not sure I agree that audio is easier to produce.  On most
cellphones (the cheapest most ubiquitous digital tool) people know where
the video button is, and where to put their video when they're done.

But point taken that audio and video are both priorities here.

Seems like the big issue with audio is that with video we're already
transcoding everything, and nobody cares.  While with audio we're
uploading files to servers without transcoding infrastructure, and
nobody wants a lossy transcode.  So, if you want "fall-back" to the
format everybody uses (e.g. if you want DJs to play your song) that
workflow doesn't all live in your web publishing system, which is a pain.

-Holmes