playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Playogg template letter: please comment

From: Jeff Shippen
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Playogg template letter: please comment
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:06:27 -0800

Holmes Wilson wrote:
> Cool, I like all these changes.
>
> Anybody else want to jump in?
>
> On 11/11/09 3:13 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>>> There's a new audio format called Ogg Vorbis that is not restricted
>>> by any
>>
>> It isn't really "new", saying this gives a connotation of "unproven",
>> "not widely
>> used", etc. Maybe "more recent" ?

Agree

>>> patents. It also achieves a much higher sound quality for a given file
>>> size than MP3, and it works in a wide range of portable audio players,
>>
>> Not sure about the "much", might sound fishy to a reader. Maybe
>> "substantially" ?

Or maybe "... achieves a comparable, if not better sound quality..."

>>> cellphones, and car stereos. It also works--without the need for any
>>> special plugins like Flash or Quicktime--in almost 25% of the world's
>>> web
>>
>> Implies it does not work on 75%. Maybe drop a line saying it works on
>> much
>> more than 25% if allowing plugins, like you need for MP3 (I think ?)
>> in the
>> first place ?
>>
>>> browsers. Wikipedia is exclusively using Ogg Vorbis (and a similar video
>>
>> s/similar/related/
>>
>>> format Ogg Theora) for all its audio and video offerings. In other
>>> words,
>>> this is something that is proven to work on large sites, at a large
>>> scale.
>>>
>>> The costs of converting your audiobooks to Ogg format are pretty
>>> minimal,
>>> it could be a small project for your team, and I'd be happy to provide
>>> them with some tools that could help.
>>
>> Maybe mention it can be automated for existing and future audiobooks,
>> such
>> that any hit will not recur ?
>>
>>> Please let me know if you can commit to offering your books as Ogg
>>> within
>>> the year.

Why to this sentence?  Why within the year / time limit?  Maybe chance
"commit to" to "consider".  Commit seems kind of strong, and then they
will seemingly have large negative resistance should they decide ogg
isn't working in their best interest.

>> Maybe state clearly that they can offer both, so they would not
>> alienate any
>> clients who would, for any reason, prefer MP3, and could only gain new
>> clients by offering Ogg/Vorbis too.

Agree this is usually a concern...

- -----

A side note, you may want to briefly address the m4a format as well...
as that is also gaining wider adoption, especially with iTunes