playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] playogg/faq: unclear phrase

From: Oleg Koptev
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] playogg/faq: unclear phrase
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 09:42:42 +0400

Hello, Ineiev!

2010/5/5 Ineiev <address@hidden>
Hi, Oleg!

Actually, not quite: we discuss the attitude of the campaign
to those who keep publicly available software proprietary (which
attitude results in certain "unclear phrases").

Agreed.  The question is - have our nice discussion some sense for compaign :) ?

> Again (out of curiosity), because you can't imagine any reason
>> they might have or because you have some other proof?
>
> For example - I know them personally.

Is this the logic you wanted from FSF?

To be of any relevance, the statement has to imply either
* no people can spy if you know them personally (why?)
or
* you know about the developers something that excludes
  that behaviour (however you don't tell directly about it)

I know you implied something reasonable, but I failed
to get any hint on what it is.

First decision false. I could know professional spy of course.
Second decision have sense - but with remarks - I can't know about ALL developers for sure. But yes if I know some of them close enough, I can claim it.

>> Sorry, I can't catch your words. EULA written by the end user? I always
>>> think that EULA's are written by the companies...
>>>
>> Sure. and the end user have no say there. no free-will.
>
> Free-will is will to choose.

And they are not free to choose whether to include the clauses.
they are not free to choose whether to switch the feature off.
they are not free to choose whether they may know what data
are sent to the owner and when. they can't choose.

(I shan't mention the fact that freedom is something more than
freedom of choice from a set of options
somebody else offers to you.)

In that particular case I mean freedom as freedom to choose not from set of options. But freedom to choose for agreing with some kind of EULA or license or not. Ab ovo.

> You have will to not agree with EULA and press
> 'No' 'Quit' in anytime.

True. but this does not mean I want the feature. and if I don't,
if I find it desirable for me to remove the feature,
then I may speak of spying.

Sorry, can't catch you! Could you repeat it in Russian?

The question was not whether it was good or bad.
and the point is there were no voluntary consent;
it is to confirm that the campaign may call it spying.

The same here.

There are some guarantees essentially stronger
than the punishment, though (in my humble opinion).

Yep, I've adduce one. Could you add some another?

Best regards,
Ineiev

Cheers, Oleg