poke-devel

automake: looking for lib/, missing AC_PROG_YACC; configure: Finding jit

From: Henner Zeller
Subject: automake: looking for lib/, missing AC_PROG_YACC; configure: Finding jitter-config
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 08:32:49 -0700

Hi,
Currently looking at the build configuration.

After a fresh checkout ( git clone --recursive
git://git.savannah.gnu.org/poke.git ),
when running automake, it complains that the lib/ subdir is mentioned,
yet it doesn't exist

$ automake --add-missing
Makefile.am:2: error: required directory ./lib does not exist

Also, configure.ac should probably contain AC_PROG_YACC
src/Makefile.am: error: Yacc source seen but 'YACC' is undefined
src/Makefile.am:   The usual way to define 'YACC' is to add 'AC_PROG_YACC'
src/Makefile.am:   to 'configure.ac' and run 'autoconf' again.

configure:
When looking for jitter, configure seems to be able to find jitter
itself in $PATH, but then fails to find jitter-config (both of which
are installed in /usr/local/bin in my case).

./configure
[...]
checking for jitter-config... no
configure: can't find jitter-config
checking for jitter... /usr/local/bin/jitter
configure: error: you need jitter-config to compile
[...]

Sure, I can invoke ./configure --with-jitter=/usr/local, but wouldn't
it be useful if it would look a the same prefix it found jitter
already ?

I don't have enough experience with the auto{make,conf} suite to
provide a good patch, so I'll leave this here for consideration.

Cheers,
  Henner.