poke-devel

[RFC] Poke releases, tags and branches

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: [RFC] Poke releases, tags and branches
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 00:30:20 +0100

Hi people!

I intend to use the following releasing schema.

We will start with a pre-release 0.90.  It will most likely be followed
by several other pre-releases 0.91, 0.92, ... until we are happy with
it.

At that point, we will release 1.0, then 1.1 and so on.  When we feel
that we have a candidate for poke 2.0, then we will release the
pre-release 1.90, followed by pre-releases until 3.0 is ready.

And so on...

In terms of git repo, we will have branches for the series:

  releases/poke-0
  releases/poke-1
  releases/poke-2

and then in each branch tags for the (pre) releases themselves:

  releases/poke-0.90
  releases/poke-0.91
  releases/poke-1.0
  releases/poke-1.1

So, once we open the serie poke-0 with this pre-release, there will be
always a current open series, say, poke version N.

New series are always branched from `master'.  This means that fixes and
new features are to be added there, and then most likely
backported/cherry-picked to the current open serie, and maybe to
previous series too, depending on the fix and whether we want to support
them or not.

I think this schema is simple, yet complete.
Comments?