poke-devel

Re: [RFC] More powerful string literals, instead of new format function

From: Mohammad-Reza Nabipoor
Subject: Re: [RFC] More powerful string literals, instead of new format function
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 23:27:27 +0330

Hi, Jose.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 11:46:23PM +0100, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

> > I propose a Python-like string literal: f-strings.
>
> I am not convinced at all about this.

Thank you for your comprehensive review.

I realized that I missed two major points in my proposal:

  - Nested style-classes
  - Future of `printf`

The first one is not simple to achieve using f-strings.

Regarding `printf`, yes, we cannot just remove it from the language.
And having two syntax for doing exactly the same thing (but differently)
is a very bad idea (one using `printf` and the other using f-strings).

So, `format` is the right solution for the Poke.
And the parser would replace a `printf (...)` with `print (format (...))`.

Regards,
Mohammad-Reza