poke-devel

Re: ext4.pk + suggestions

From: kitzman
Subject: Re: ext4.pk + suggestions
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 22:56:10 +0300

Dear Jose,

"Jose E. Marchesi" <jemarch@gnu.org> writes:

> Would you like to maintain ext4.pk in the poke source tree?

Yes, definitely. Some things are still to be done, but this version is
quite okay for general use. I'll read up a bit more about maps. I hope I
will have time to do it properly. I will write a map for it, since ext4
filesystems are quite big. I'll ask on IRC if there are some user-type
questions.

>>      - 'save' output file offset + size
>
> I don't know what you mean here?

For example, let's say I want to "save :from 128#B :size 8#B :file
something :destination_offset 512#B". I don't remember exactly why I
needed this - I guess loading into memory and copying would work fine as
well.

>>      - stdin, fprintf, and printf accepting string (I tried to create a
>>        function 'debug' which calls printf but failed :( ; maybe I did
>>        something wrong)
>
> I don't know what you mean with "printf accepting string".

For example, I remember I tried to define the following:

fun debug = (string fmt, args...) void : {
  if (DEBUG_ENABLED) {
    printf fmt, args;
  }
}

printf would like to know at compile time the fmt so it can throw the
appropriate errors. I think macros would solve this problem and would be
nicer.

Btw, I think when I'll get the installation going, I'll add poke to guix
packages.

Kind regards,
kitz