poke-devel

Bug recap

From: apache2
Subject: Bug recap
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 02:19:17 +0200

Here are some of the bugs my fuzzing turned up that are still open:

1. The parser currently aborts if you give it a token that is longer than 16384
bytes long.
   examples could be 111...111 [16385 times] (not very likely to turn up in a
Poke program)
   or a string "aaaaaaa...aaaa" (more likely in the real world, I guess).
   While it might be nice to support long string literals, a more immediate
solution to this
   might be to just report it as a syntax error. That would make it easier for
me to sift through
   future fuzz results, at least. :-)

2. This segfaults:
   type x=struct{int[0'size*0**0];}
   I don't know why, but it seems to have to do with some sort of optimization?

3. Repeating an operator like > or == or + or whatever more than 32 times
triggers an assertion:
  (poke)
vm_odepth>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U>0U;
  lt-poke: ../../libpoke/pkl-gen.c:2256: pkl_gen_pr_cast: Assertion
`PKL_GEN_PAYLOAD->cur_context < PKL_GEN_MAX_CTX' failed.
  Again, I can't think of many cases where you would want this in a normal Poke
program, but it
  would be very nice if we could turn this into a parse error instead of
dumping cores.

4. We have a really annoying bug where a syntax error in an expression that
involves a function
   whose body mentions itself results in a double free (according to whichever
malloc implementation
   I ended up with on debian). I've hit this by hand a few times, so this one
might be the most
   realistic of the bunch. :-)
   There seems to be a variant of this where "?! name_of_the_function" inside
the function body,
   followed by a syntax error, results in some other way of crashing, but it
looks like the same
   root cause.
   I think this bug is also documented in the bug tracker?