poke-devel

Re: [DISCUSSION] FILE* slowness

From: apache2
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] FILE* slowness
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 17:40:18 +0200

6) I forgot to mention the suggestion to try out mmap-backed I/O.
My thoughts on it are:
  6.1) mmap(2) would be pretty easy and convenient for the read-case, where we
are reading immutable files.
  6.2) This paper is pretty interesting on the topic of mmap:
https://www.cidrdb.org/cidr2022/papers/p13-crotty.pdf
  6.3) I think mmap would quickly become very complicated when dealing with r/w
files, especially when we'd have
       to shrink/grow files, and *particularly* when considering portability.
  6.4) It's worth a shot / worth benchmarking, but I don't think I'd have the
time to be a main driver on this.