poke-devel

Re: GNU poke 2.90.0 on Linux/riscv64

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: GNU poke 2.90.0 on Linux/riscv64
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:08:41 +0100

Hello.

On 2023-01-23 at 12:35 +0100, Bruno Haible wrote:

> On Linux/riscv64, the compilation works fine, but after "make install"
> the installed poke binary does not work:
>   - "poke --help" and "poke --version" work,
>   - but "poke" fails
>       FATAL ERROR: far jump from B-type: not supported yet
>
> Find attached jitter's config.status and config.h.
>
> It is possible to get success with a different threading mode? If yes,
> why is this threading mode not the default on this architecture?

That is a known problem with every RISC architecture supporting
no-threading: I have not yet implemented far jumps, so any jump whose
displacement does not fit in one instruction as an immediate will fail
like that.

I have temporarily disabled no-threading on RISC-V as well, which will
work around this issue for the time being.

I want to implement a real solution, of course, but for that I would
like to rewrite the file (quite horrible) jitter-replicate.c .  This
will work for the time being.

--
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  https://ageinghacker.net

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".