poke-devel

poke-elf: pickles to poke at ELF and DWARF data

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: poke-elf: pickles to poke at ELF and DWARF data
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 22:42:38 +0100

Hello all.

Over this weekend I outsourced the ELF and DWARF pickles from poke's
pickles/ directory, and they now live on their own project, poke-elf.

The new project homepage is https://jemarch.net/poke-elf

The reasons for doing this are:

- The ELF and DWARF pickles are big, and they benefit from their own
  project environment: manual, testsuite, etc.

- We need to be able to release several versions of these pickles,
  independent from the poke version.

- I am using these pickles as the canonical example of how to package
  poke pickles.  It is used as the reference implementation in a "poke
  pickle writer guide" which is work in progress.

The poke-elf build system is very simple and it is based on autotools.
>From a git clone:

  $ autoreconf -i
  $ ./configure
  $ make && make check && make install

The git repo is at:
$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/poke/poke-elf.git

Git repo web interface:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/poke/poke-elf.git

There is still work to do in the pickles themselves and in the manual,
but I plan to release poke-elf 1.0 very soon.

Finally, poke-elf is officially part of the GNU poke project, and
therefore a GNU program.

Salud!