poke-devel

Re: Help wanted getting a poke parser fuzzer to work

From: Santiago Torres-Arias
Subject: Re: Help wanted getting a poke parser fuzzer to work
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 17:18:05 -0500

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 03:43:49PM +0000, Dan Čermák wrote:
> Hey folks,
>

> First, it leaks more than a sieve filled with water. I have tried to
> explicitly call the GC in my test function, but that has no impact on
> that.

I"m not super surprised about this, and happy to see there are efforts
to fuzz Poke.

> It appears as if some internal datastructures created by jitter
> are still referenced somewhere and are thus not freed.
>
> Second, the thing is slow as heck. I get only a few iterations per
> second, which is far too slow for any reasonable fuzzing. This is most
> certainly caused by loading & compiling pkl-rt.pk, pkl-config.pk,
> std.pk and std-types.pk on every run (I have just commented that out and
> that increases the exec speed to much more reasonable, but still too
> slow, ~500 execs/s).

> Does it make sense to fuzz poke without loading the stdlib? If not,
> could it be somehow pre-loaded at compile time/compiled into poke?

This would make sense, and I believe something like afl persisten mode
would be useful?

https://github.com/AFLplusplus/AFLplusplus/blob/stable/instrumentation/README.persistent_mode.md

Curious to see how this turns out!

-Santiago