poke-devel

First submission?

From: Will Hawkins
Subject: First submission?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 10:22:15 -0400

Hello everyone!

I am writing to ask for advice on if/how I can make a very small,
initial contribution to an amazing tool and community:

I am building poke (I hope that I am using the verbiage correctly -- I
read the Nomenclature section in HACKING!) on Fedora from git and
found it absolutely dead simple thanks to your incredibly well
organized documentation.

Despite years of experience with the

./autoreconf
./configure
make
make install

dance, I got caught a bit off guard by the use of autopoint and where
to find it in Fedora. I learned that it is part of gettext
(gettext-devel package on Fedora) and your documentation about
Autotools (in HACKING) infers that. However, I was wondering if you

1. Think that adding some information about where to find autopoint is
useful (because it does not appear to be as common a part of the
normal autotools that people think of [i.e., autoreconf, automake,
etc]
2. Had any suggestion on where to put that documentation (assuming an
affirmative response to (1).

Sorry for such a long email for so trivial a question.

Thank you for welcoming new contributors and the great community you
have built around poke! I hope I'll be able to help!

Will