proofreaders

[using gcc book] final round of copy editing for _Using GCC_

From: Chris Devers
Subject: [using gcc book] final round of copy editing for _Using GCC_
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:06:01 -0400 (EDT)

As those of you on the GCC list may know, I have been hired by FSF to work
on a copy edit of the new edition of the _Using GCC_ manual.

I probably should have brought this list into the process earlier, but in
honesty I forgot about the existence of the list until now.  Mea culpa.

The current plan is to present the final manuscript to FSF tomorrow so
that it can go to press, possibly as soon as this week. I realize that
isn't much warning; if any major errors are spotted I'm sure that time
frame can be amended, but I'm reasonably confident that most of the major
issues have been hashed out.[1]

In any case, I have made some extensive changes to the .texi files that
compose the manual.  Some of these changes are minor, others aren't.

I have not yet merged my revisions into CVS, but intend to do so once the
work is complete -- and I'm nearly at that point.

In the meantime, the source .texi files & derived .pdf are available on my
home server.  Everything has been synchronized with current CVS (at least,
as of five minutes ago).  A PDF of the current form is available at:

    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/gccbook/gcc_chd.20030901.181640.pdf

The source .texi files from which this was derived are also available:

    http://devers.homeip.net:8080/gccbook/cvs/gcc/gcc/doc/

or simply,

     http://devers.homeip.net:8080/gccbook/edited/

(The latter is just a symlink to the former to save on typing :)

Please feel free to take a look at the PDF &/or texi files.  If you see
anything amiss, please let me know asap.  (I've singed up as a list
subscriber, but have not yet received a confirmation message, so it may be
a good idea to cc: me on any replies.)

Sorry again for the late note, and thanks again, everyone :)

--
Chris Devers      address@hidden
http://devers.homeip.net:8080/blog/

locale, n.
An ANSI-approved ethnic stereotype.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995